The Barefoot Architect
- Written by former UN worker and prominent architect, Johan van Lengen
- has seen firsthand the desperate need for a "greener" approach to housing in impoverished tropical climates.
- This comprehensive book clearly explains every aspect of this endeavor, including design (siting, orientation, climate consideration), materials (sisal, cactus, bamboo, earth), and implementation.
- The author emphasizes throughout the book what is inexpensive and sustainable.
- Hundreds of explanatory drawings by van Lengen allow even novice builders to get started.